The main functions of Sports Department are given as follows:
- To provide adequate infrastructural facilities like swimming pool, badminton hall, tennis court, football, hockey ground and many more for carrying out effective training of sports persons.
- To implement policy and procedure related to sports.
- To supervise and manage budgets, staff, equipment and various schemes related to sports.
- To appoint and manage staff that is capable of fulfilling the objectives of the department and new Programmes/Policy.
- To ensure availability of adequate opportunities to promising sports persons of the State at various competitions both at national as well as international level.
- To develop evaluation techniques for Programmes and personnel.
- To provide awards/rewards to national and international medal winners and also to offer financial help to former sports persons.